Suspension Bridge

Suspension Bridge

$50.00

Another remarkable vintage lithograph showing the entrance to the 700-foot suspension bridge connecting Nashville with Edgefield, spanning the Cumberland River. Located at the site of the Woodland Street Bridge, this image depicts the second suspension bridge built at this location. The first bridge, built in 1850, was destroyed by the retreating Confederate army during the Civil War when they cut the steel supports cables. After the war the city rebuilt the bridge, which was a toll bridge, where it remained in use until the 1880s when it was replaced with the Woodland Street Bridge.

The tolls for the bridge were as follows: fifteen cents for a four-horse carriage, a nickel for a man on horseback, ten cents per one hundred chickens, a penny per hog, and no charge for pedestrians. And as you can see from the image, $5.00 fine for driving faster than a walk and a $1.00 fine for walking on the carriage way.

Circa 1870

* Click here to enlarge image